Monday, December 31, 2012

Perspectives

I have been fascinated lately by the way that almost anything can be seen in more than one way. I suppose you could just call it different perspectives, but I'm talking about something a little more significant than that...

Consider the quote by T. S. Eliot I shared in my last post. It begins, "Where is the Life we have lost in living?" Now, when I read that quote, I see layers of meaning. It is powerful, life changing even, if I allow it to be. Others, though, will read that sentence and see nothing more than a collection of empty words, or perhaps see it as a cleverly composed but meaningless sentence.

What is the truth?

Those who don't comprehend the message and its power would try to convince us that we're making things up, attributing meaning where there is none. The thing is, they are the ones on the outside looking in, not understanding the depth of the idea being poetically presented.

What is it that they are missing?

There are several possibilities, one being that they are not yet ready to learn this particular lesson or to be responsible to act on that knowledge. It is a protection and a blessing to not have to carry that burden before we are prepared. But too often the reason for not comprehending is less noble.

Sometimes we close ourselves off through pride. We don't allow ourselves to see beyond the surface or accept that our initial reaction might be wrong. Similarly, we are sometimes blind to spiritual things because we have lost a portion of the spirit. This is the circumstance I find most disturbing and sad.

Interestingly, I believe that is what T. S. Eliot's quote is all about.

"Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"

No comments:

Post a Comment