Friday, August 26, 2011

Savor the Moment

Lately I have felt keenly aware of the fleeting quality of time. Maybe we hear this a lot, but it's because it is such a significant truth: Time flies. Too often we find ourselves wishing for a certain event in the future, whether it's nap-time, the weekend, or the arrival of the new baby. As we set our hearts and minds on the future, we miss the preciousness of now.

My daughter will never be two again. I want to savor every sweet moment I have with her. Perhaps it seems a little pessimistic, but I don't know what could happen at any given time. I could lose her in a heartbeat and regret for the rest of my life that I didn't enjoy her more while I had her. This has taught me a lesson about being full of gratitude for what I have, especially for my husband and children. I cannot dwell on or live in the past, and I shouldn't worry too much about the future. Instead, I try to really make the most of the present.

There is power in this moment. It is yours to use however you choose. It can be thrown away in trivial pursuits, or it can be harnessed for good. You can do the Lord's bidding, you can improve yourself, you can teach your children, you can make a positive difference in someone's life. Don't let it pass you by.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I am very much a person who lives for the next big exciting event. Luckily I get excited for a lot of things but still I need to follow this great advice and live in the moment and take it all in. Since I still work on campus I have been kind of depressed realizing that I miss going to school and I miss those days of partying with friends and roommates. I wouldn't go back but maybe I just didn't savor those moments as much as I should have but now I need to do that. :)(whew long comment) :P

    ReplyDelete