Thursday, July 7, 2011

What will you sacrifice?

My husband once taught this lesson to me, and it has always stuck with me:

It begins with the story of Ammon and King Lamoni from the Book of Mormon. After the king was converted they went together to release Ammon's brethren from prison. Along the way they run into the Lamoni's father. He is angry and tries to kill his son, but Ammon speaks to him and raises his sword against him in self defense.

Note the king's words:

"
Now the king, fearing he should lose his life, said: If thou wilt spare me I will grant unto thee whatsoever thou wilt ask, even to half of the kingdom." (Alma 20:23)

To spare his physical life the king is willing to sacrifice up to half of his kingdom. That's a pretty big deal, considering that he is king of all the Lamanites. The king is spared and is impressed by Ammon and by his words. He asks him to come to him later, but Ammon is unable to, so Aaron comes in his place. They teach the king the gospel.

Now listen to the king's response:

"
And it came to pass that after Aaron had expounded these things unto him, the king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy." (Alma 22:15)

The king is now willing to sacrifice his entire kingdom, all of his possessions, to save his spiritual life. His eyes have been open to that which is truly important, and he sees the great value of the truths he is learning. He is told that he must do something far simpler but often more difficult than giving up material things. He must repent.

This is what he says:

"O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me, and I will give away all my sins to know thee, and that I may be raised from the dead, and be saved at the last day." (Alma 22:18)

Note especially that his first desire is to know God. It's no longer just about his spiritual life. He has a deep-rooted desire--one which I believe we all possess--to be close and familiar with our Father in Heaven. And he is willing to sacrifice all of his sins for this relationship.

Do we recognize the great value of the truths of the gospel? Or do we normally take them for granted? Do we sometimes become lax in the upholding of our side of our relationship with God?

I try to take a lesson from the king of the Lamanites and ask myself, what am I willing to sacrifice to know God? Is this sin I hold on to really worth destroying my relationship with Him? Though most won't destroy it all at once, any sin will slowly whittle away at it. Especially when you are made aware of sins and shortcomings through the power of the spirit, to continually ignore them and leave them unattended to will surely drive away the spirit.

I am committed to sacrificing anything and everything the Lord requires of me, no matter how difficult. I too desire to know God, and nothing is more important than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment