Tuesday, March 19, 2013

“Wherever you go, can I follow you?”

This was the question asked of me by my sweet three-year-old daughter. She was referring to the fact that I tend to move around the apartment fulfilling different responsibilities and tasks, and she just wants to be wherever I am.

But when the question was posed, I heard something very different. I envisioned the many years yet to come and all the many experiences and trials we are about to face. I pictured how my sweet girl would grow and change and progress. I hoped within myself that she would grow up to be everything that Heavenly Father knows she can be—that she would fulfill her potential and God's high expectations for her. With those thoughts in mind, I considered her question in a new light.

“Wherever you go, can I follow you?”

I feel myself asking this question of God in the depths of my heart. I desire with all that is in me to be what Heavenly Father wants me to be. I want to be like Christ, and I want to be with God.

“Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.” (3 Nephi 27:27)

My baby girl will grow and follow my example until she finally reaches the level of maturity at which she can receive her own testimony and begin to follow the example of Him who is infinitely more worthy of emulation. Until that time, I hope and pray that I can be worthy of the trust and love she feels for me.

And so I answered her, “I hope so. I hope you will.”

No comments:

Post a Comment