Thursday, May 3, 2012

Supermom

Lately, I have had an extremely strong desire to become a Supermom.  I think you know the type: always perfectly groomed; children always perfectly behaved; cooks delicious, healthy, and cost-effective meals; does tons of fun, educational and crafty things with her children; keeps her house immaculate all the time; and still somehow finds time to serve others and take time for herself.

I took to searching the internet for Supermoms and tips on how to be one.  The majority of voices out there say the same thing:  there is no such thing as a Supermom.  All you're seeing is smoke and mirrors.  Sure, there are things you can do to be more effective as a mother: being organized, prioritizing, having routines.  But nobody is perfect, nobody does it all.

Sigh.

I knew it was true, but it was still so discouraging to hear.  I felt so overwhelmed and stuck.  I wanted to be extraordinary, better than I am.  And then something happened: I had a really great day on which a wonderful thought occurred to me.

I AM a Supermom!

I desire to be perfect, and then I do my best.  There are things that I can't control, like whether my daughter takes a nap or wets her pants.  All I can control is myself, and most of the time I do pretty well.  Being a Supermom doesn't mean that everything always goes your way, that your days are flawless and without incident.  It means taking every little crises and frustration and doing your best to rise above it and find solutions.  That's what makes you super.

Granted, that's not to say that I'm never the villain...  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment