Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Missing Out?

How much of the world do we let into our homes and lives? And the better question: Why?

I've been thinking lately about eternal perspective and how it ought to effect our goals and priorities. I've been striving to use my time better so that I can be a more effective wife, mother, and homemaker. As I have evaluated the way I spend my time, (and how I want to spend it,) I have realized that I spend far too much time in "worldly" pursuits.

But, to be honest, when I think about changing some of my habits and hobbies, I feel almost panicked. I'm not entirely sure I have what it takes to make the types of changes I feel I ought. Am I ready to be that different? Am I prepared to have the determination and diligence it takes to follow through? I think part of me would rather stay the way I am now than try to be better and fail.

But I know that's the wrong attitude.

Heavenly Father has such great blessings in store for us, such wonderful plans, if we can be worthy of them. I feel that many of us are too quick to be satisfied with mediocrity in our spiritual lives. We ought to set our sights higher and apply our whole selves to reaching those higher goals.

"Our main goal should be to seek 'immortality and eternal life' (Moses 1:39). With this as our goal, why not eliminate from our lives the things that clamor for and consume our thoughts, feelings, and energies without contributing to our reaching that goal?" (M. Russell Ballard, May 1987 Ensign, Keeping Life's Demands in Balance).

Exactly! Now I don't know what those things may be for you, but I feel that it has been made amply clear to me what worldly things I would be better off without. But, like I said above, it takes courage to go the extra mile and to be a little bit better. We tend to be so comfortable in our ways, to the point that we don't even realize that we are choosing to let worldly things consume our time. That same time could be spent doing any number of uplifting and exalting activities.

So why don't we just make the choice and change? Well, for one thing, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I can't be as good as I want to be all at once. (Of course, that doesn't mean I'll stop trying.) I believe that to a certain extent, our willingness to replace worldly activities with Godly activities hinges on the strength of our faith.

If we really completely comprehended, believed, and trusted in Heavenly Father's eternal plan for us, what difference would one movie make? Or one TV show, or game? Or whatever the activity may be... Too often, I forget my faith in that moment when I hear the whisper in my ear saying, "You're going to miss out."

No, I'm not going to miss out.

I choose to not miss out on the opportunity to use my life in the absolutely best way possible. I'm not going to waste my precious moments here on earth. I am going to seek Heavenly Father's direction to choose the BEST things I could be doing with my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment