Saturday, February 5, 2011

Christlike Mothers

I am a wife, a mother, and a homemaker. We have been taught that these are among the most noble callings. But let's be honest, sometimes it's a bit of a struggle to find nobility in changing diapers, cleaning bathrooms, and sweating over home-cooked meals, (both figuratively and literally.) I felt this keenly when my baby was just a few months old. By then the novelty had worn off, and we were in the thick of it. I was living off very little broken up sleep and this made my emotions run even higher than they normally would considering all of the hormones of having a baby. I began searching for meaning in the monotony of a lifestyle that I had anticipated for so long. I had longed for a husband and children, and I remember well the excitement I had felt at having such clear responsibilities that would be centered around service to the ones I loved. But when it came right down to it, this was not what I had expected. I prayed for hope and motivation, for inspiration to remember why the work I was doing was so important. This is the answer I received.

I feed. I plan menus, I go shopping, I make meals, and then I try to make small amounts of food go a long way. "But Jesus said unto them, They need not depart; give ye them to eat. And they say unto him, We have here but five loaves, and two fishes. He said, Bring them hither to me. And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude. And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the fragments that remained twelve baskets full." (Matt. 14:16-20)

I wash. I scrub floors, I clean sinks, I do laundry, and I bathe my baby. "He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded." (John 13:4-5)

I heal. I kiss owies better, I take temperatures and give medicine, I take my baby to the doctor and make sure she gets her immunizations. "And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them." (Mark 6:5)

I teach. I talk to a little person that has only limited ability to talk back; I identify colors, letters, numbers and shapes; I talk about Heavenly Father and Jesus and ask my baby to fold her arms when we pray. "And he taught daily." (Luke 19:47)

I set an example. I pray, I study my scriptures, I go to church and to the temple, and I make time to spend with my family. "For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." (John 13:15)

My answer? Women do what Christ did in a very literal sense. We may not have the priesthood, but we are called to do the work of the Lord. We care for the home which is the only place that "can compare with the temple in sacredness." (Bible Dictionary: Temple) We care for our husbands and support them in their priesthood duties. We raise children, precious sons and daughters of God, and we seek to do so just as He would. What a beautiful calling!

Reading through the New Testament I was amazed to find so many similarities between the work of mothers and homemakers and the work of Christ. I'm so grateful for this renewed understanding of my meaning and purpose. I know that I play an important role in Heavenly Fathers plan, and this helps me to find nobility in the prosaic.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this! I feel like the things i do are menial sometimes and this is such an awesome way to look at it. Those small things really do make a huge difference to those we love and serve just like all the simple things Christ did throughout his life. Thanks for this post.. it made me smile!

    -Kadi Abel

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was just beautiful! I love how you tied in all the "menial" things we do with direct quotes from the Savior's life. Very touching. What an important perspective to have. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful and insightful!

    ReplyDelete